Here are some fun things that we've been up to as summer is winding down and we are attempting to get back into our fall routine:
*We walked the labyrinth in Palos Verdes.
*We checked out the new Homeschool Choir that will be happening on Mondays in Long Beach. If you are interested contact Beth Syverson 714-376-6666. (Carly was invited to intern as an accompanist for Beth).
* Carly and Micayla auditioned for the Nutcracker. This year they will be in performing with the Maple Conservatory in Irvine.
*We went to the Hurley Pro where Carly filmed and interviewed surf groms for a surf film contest she is entering (if you know someone who'd like to enter please note the submission deadline has been changed to September 30th). In the photo above is fellow homeschooler, 9 year old, Griffin.
*The kids tried out a few homeschool classes offered by Great Educational Experiences
*Nate and Allie have been making oodles of ounces of fresh squeezed O.J. in the last week after visiting the dentist, (he gave us a huge bag of oranges from his acreage in Fallbrook).
*A fun way to cool off and get exercise - bouncing on the trampline with the hose!
*Micayla made this yummy dessert.
What we've been reading:
*A Young People's History of the United States by Howard Zinn
* Facing the Lion - Growing Up Maasai on the African Savannah
by Joseph Lemasolai Lekuton
* Children Just Like Me by Barnabas and Anabel Kindersley
* Around the World in 80 Tales by Saviour Pirotta
* Q is for Quark - by David M. Schwartz
* The Periodic Table - Elements with Style by Adrian Dingle
* It's Elementary - How Chemistry Rocks Our World by Robert Winston
What we've been watching:
*The movie Napoleon Dynamite after seeing the All American Melodrama Theater perform Homeschool Musical.
* Families of the World dvds - (we just watched the one on Ghana)
*Periodic Table Videos (just click on an element to see a video - love the professor's hair too:)
* And our favorite that seemed to mesh perfectly with what we've been studying: