My brother and I have been having fun making these holiday salt dough ornaments. Here's how:
What you'll need:
- ½ cup salt
- 1 cup flour
- ½ cup water
- Rolling pin
- Cookie sheet
- Cookie cutters - Christmas trees, snowmen, stars, etc.
- Acrylic paints
How to make it:
- Preheat the oven to 250 degrees F.
- Mix together, salt, flour, and water until dough is formed.
- Knead the dough on a floured surface until the mixture is elastic and smooth. If dough is too sticky, sprinkle with flour, continue to do so until stickiness is gone. Do not add too much flour, this will dry out the dough and will cause it to crack before you get a chance to bake it.
- Roll out the dough to about ¼” thick with a rolling pin that has been dusted with flour.
- Use cookie cutters to cut shapes
- Use a toothpick to make a hole toward the top of the shape.
- Place all shapes onto an ungreased cookie sheet and place into the preheated oven.
- Bake for 2 hours.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely.