Thursday, February 3, 2011

Tutu in the Making


(by Micayla)
I designed a tutu that I am making with Miss Hilde. She is a seamstress who makes tutus and other costumes for ballet performances. I am making a light blue tutu with a leotard bodice. The first week I worked with her I learned about Pi, because I had to measure the tulle in a way that it would go all the way around my hips without crossing over.
I'm having lots of fun working with Miss Hilde in her awesome garage/sewing room! It is definitely a process - not an over night job, but the tutu is coming along nicely and I just got the first layer of tulle on! Here are some photos:


*If you'd like a sewing lesson with Miss Hilde, you can all her at (818)521-9350
*A great book to help you learn about Pi and circumference is Sir Cumference and the Dragon of Pi (A Math Adventure) by Cindy Neuschwander.
Add Image

No comments: